Tuesday, November 11, 2008

47 Shades of White!!!

Some of you have inquired as to how our bathroom redecorating project is going, and I can only say, "slow and steady wins the race." This project, like any home "fix-it" task, had us spending an inordinate amount of time in the hardware store this weekend. We ended up changing the shade of green we thought we'd use about four times, but when it came to choosing what we were going to use for the ceiling and two "accent" walls, we simply picked a shade of white and called it done.

Yeah, that's what we thought until we started putting the white on the wall. . . and then it was off to the store again. After collecting a whole deck of paint chips, all of them proclaiming to be white, it took an hour of decision-making to finally pick what would work! (Do we REALLY need 47 different shades of white???)

Anyway, I decided to turn the whole rather-frustrating process into another "excuse of the day" and went to work making this card that only uses shades of white.

I grabbed some Whisper White, Very Vanilla and Shimmery White cardstock, my "Priceless" stamp set (only because I hadn't used it in forever), checked the ribbon drawer to see what my options were, and set out to see what might happen. I used white craft ink, stamped on the vanilla cardstock, and embossed with white embossing powder.


Then to add some texture while staying within the parameters of my "excuse," I ran some Shimmery White cardstock through my crimper twice, once in each direction, to produce sort of a "waffle" look.


To create "wide" taffeta ribbon, I placed two lengths of vanilla taffeta next to each other and then added a piece of white taffeta over the top to hide the "seam."


I used Dimensionals to adhere my center piece over the ribbon. A trick to use if you have difficulty getting the backing off of Dimensionals: push your thumb nail into the Dimensional to create a crease in the backing paper.

Don't know if I'll use this card for a wedding, or if it'll just be a notecard, but I was pleased with the results of "going all white."

Guess I'd better get back to my paintbrush!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin