Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sepia Technique

Okay, so I'm already chomping at the bit. I've been "grounded" for about 4 days now, and my brain is starting to go into over-drive! All this sitting on the couch with my arm iced and elevated is starting to get old. So I'll spend a little time here, typing in the classic "hunt-and-peck" style, with just my left hand. My right hand has to be up in the air, ala the “teacher, teacher, pick me, pick me” look lest it start swelling to the size of a balloon!

I’ve been typing “automatically” for so many years, eyes always on the screen, that I have no flippin’ idea where the letters are!! So I slowly hunt and peck, thankful for those few words that are spelled with only left-hand letters. I usually look up to my Word program “screaming” red at all the errors I’ve made! The good news is that everything with the surgery went well and I haven't needed a pain med for almost 48 hours. That probably explains a lot regarding my success at being a couch-potato over the weekend!!

Anyway, that's enough of that--let's talk a little stamping. Sepia is the technique my stamp clubs worked with this month. It's kind of a neat way to give line-art images an antique look, and is an alternative to coloring.


To do this, stamp a line image in Basic Brown ink on Kraft cardstock. Basic Brown is waterproof (Really!) so the image won't smear when colored on. Then use Very Vanilla Craft Ink and Chocolate Chip Classic ink to paint on highlights with an Aquapainter. Sponge the edges of the cardstock with Choclate Chip ink. I even sponged over the image a bit to increase that "antique-y" look.

Other details about this card--

It uses the "Gifts of the Earth" stamp set that is in the Holiday Mini Catalog, and a bit of the "Autumn Traditions" Designer Series Paper. (When I say "a bit" I mean it! I originally designed this card for a swap where I needed 20 copies. In order to have enough Designer Paper, I only used what would show--so each of those pieces is only 3/4" X 2"! A little more putzing because you're cutting and gluing 2 pieces instead of one, but the savings is worth it to me!) The card base is wheeled with the jumbo "Texture" wheel, and the accents on the sides of the sepia image are made with the "Modern Label" punch and Vintage brads.

Well, I suppose it's time to see what other mischief I can get into instead of sitting on the couch. Thanks for stopping in!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin