Monday, February 1, 2010

Momentous January Occasion Successful!!

Okay, in keeping with "tradition," let me start by apologizing for my infrequent posts. Just way too much "bon bon eating" going on here!! (Man! Don't I wish!!) Ski racing season, snow, stamping events, snow, a visiting puppy, snow AND cold, a broken van, a broken furnace, and then the pressure of coming up with something memorable to mark a big milestone in our family--my husband's 50th birthday!!

Several of our friends have reached "50" before us, and we've had a hand in hosting or helping with a few of their parties. While they were fun, Mike would mention from time to time that he didn't want a party for his 50th. He didn't even want to hear that word that comes after 49!! But I knew I still had to do something out of the ordinary to mark the day. I tossed around planning a weekend get-away or a shower of gifts but then came up with a way to sort of do a "party in a box."

I contacted friends, family and co-workers and had them send me memories, funny stories and well-wishes for Mike. Then, off to the craft room it was! Armed with my Big Shot and lots of colorful paper, I fashioned 50 little boxes (courtesy of the Big Shot Matchbox die!) and filled each one with a story or memory that had been sent in.



Marty's, a local pizzeria that specializes in huge party pizzas, was kind enough to give me a box that I decorated to hold all the little boxes:


(The message on the front cover: "It's your day, and because you're not 49 anymore, 50 reminders that life is good!")

I had the box waiting for us at the restaurant where we were going for dinner Friday night. I numbered the little boxes because I thought Mike would open a few of the boxes at the restaurant and save the rest for when we got home--the numbers would help keep track of which ones had already been opened. But as it worked out, Mike and the kids went through every single box while we were at dinner! I don't really know how long we were there--I have a feeling it might have been a little longer than the wait staff wanted--all I was concerned with was Mike's reaction to his "gift," and being that he went through all the boxes again the next day, I'd say he was happy with his celebration. We continued the "party" Sunday with a special dinner at home, breaking out a very old bottle of wine that we had been saving for a special occasion.

In all, I'd say it was a very dignified way to mark the big day. No black balloons, no over-the-hill signs on the front lawn--but I did allow the kids the one thing they'd been wanting to get Mike for years: An "old geezer" cane--that I have a feeling will "re-appear" one day next June. Guess turn-around is fair play, huh?

Happy Monday, everyone!

2 comments:

elaine said...

What a wonderful idea! My husband will turn 60 this year and that is the perfect idea for his party. I wonder if I can find a box that 60 matchboxes will fit in. . .

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I love this idea. My husband is 50 this year and this is a great way to celebrate without having to do a party he doesn't want or make too big a deal of it.
Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer

Blog Widget by LinkWithin